I used to suffer from sore throat all the time. Always the change in weather would be blamed but the real issue was low immunity. I decided to do something about it, and incorporated some lifestyle changes which helped in my recurring sore throat issues and improving my immunity in general.
Here are 8 tips to combat sore throat issues:
- Switch to regular tap water showers (all seasons, throughout the year): I am the sort of person who wears sweaters and uses blankets 70% of the year and yet I take regular tap water showers; even during winters, even when I am unwell. I have been doing this for last 3 years now. Bathing with regular tap water makes you less susceptible to cold. As soon as you have taken bath, the body quickly warms up to the normal temperature. This is supposed to burn fat too (though I wouldn’t give it that much weightage).
- Start your day with a glass of lukewarm water with honey and lemon: I don’t know if lemon-honey-water is actually the magical concoction that helps you burn fat but it certainly works wonders in keeping cough, cold and sore throat at bay. I have been drinking this first thing in the morning for over 2 years now, and found it useful.
- Add Exercise to your routine: Regular Exercise has 2 major benefits: improving immunity and improving metabolism. So, walk, run, cycle, swim, do yoga, do body weight exercises or Zumba; there are several options to choose from even if you cannot go to a gym.
- Seek natural / alternative cure: I have been consciously moving towards natural or homemade things as the first preference for everything. For example, I never use any face wash or anti-aging cream. I always use the home-made face packs whenever I can and use Almond oil to massage my face. Similarly, as soon as I feel the onset of sore throat, I immediately start Sitopaladi (easily available in medical stores in India), which is an Ayurvedic medicine; and also start homeopathy medicine. I avoid taking antibiotics as much as possible. With a young child around, I aim for faster recovery in a healthier way. Of course, there are times when you don’t have any option but to go for allopathic medicines.
If you get sore throat:
- Immediately start saline water gargles several times a day.
- Drink lukewarm water throughout the day.
- Take fresh ginger extracts mixed with honey. You may also add lemon drops to it.
- Drink Turmeric Milk. Turmeric naturally kills germs and warms up the body which helps in faster recovery.
It is not that I never get throat infection now but the frequency is far less and recovery is faster.
Hope these tips work for you.