I’m sure all of us want to give healthy snacks to our kids all the time but the ground reality may be different. Many of us don’t have enough time or enough energy to cook healthy snacks for our kids everyday. Moreover, some of us aren’t that great cooks either. Now, even if we invested time and energy, the healthy food might not click with the children. You know how it goes; you make something healthy for your kids with a lot of anticipation, and when they reject it outright, you are sad, angry, depressed, all at once.
I’m always looking for easy-to-make, healthy and yummy alternatives to unhealthy snacks like biscuits and chocos. And it was by sheer chance that I made this super protein snack, which is the house favourite right now.
Peanuts – 1 cup
Jaggery (sugarcane or palm) – 1/2 cup
Note – The quantities are indicative. You can change the ratios according to your taste.
- Dry roast the peanuts and remove the skin. You can also make the laddoos with the skin, it does not make much of a difference. The taste could feel marginally bitter with the skin.
- Crush the Jaggery into finer granules
- Put the roasted peanuts into a mixer Jar and grind it into powder. When you
grind it for a few seconds, the peanuts will grind into paste due to heat generated in the process. Peanuts already have oil in them so you don’t need to add any extra ghee to it.
- Add the jaggery powder to the peanut paste. Grind the jaggery with peanut and form a smooth paste.
- Remove the paste and form round shaped, ready-to-eat laddoos.
Make this in small quantities since we are not cooking this, it may not have a longer shelf life. Moreover, it is easier to control the proportions when you are making small quantities. In fact, older children can make this themselves easily.
6 reasons why I love this Peanut Laddoo recipe
1. Easy: It is very easy. You don’t need any special cooking skills to make this, unlike a lot of other Indian sweets or food in general. It took me a while to learn besan (gram flour) laddoo for instance.
2. Quick: It takes very less time to make. You don’t need elaborate preparation, neither do you need a lot of time to prepare it. So, just keep the roasted peanuts ready and whenever your child asks for some snack, just take out your mixer jar and you can make it in 5 minutes.
3. Good for all: It is not only an ideal kids’ snack, it is good for everyone. You can carry it to your office to eat before leaving from office or you can eat it after coming back from office. That is the time when everyone is starving.
4. Healthy: It is packed with Proteins and Iron.
5. Tasty: It is delicious.
6. Simple: It is not complicated. It is a Minimalist recipe. You don’t need to know the measurements, the exact temperature when things have to be mixed; there is hardly any scope for things to go wrong. I had tried til (sesame) laddoo last year to disastrous results, phew!
So, what’s stopping you?
Do let me know how it turns out. I’m sure you’ll love it!